Norris & Louisa Hall wedding (seated in rockers)
September 5, 1905
Chester Times - June 21, 1952
L. Norris Hall Dies at 73
L. Norris Hall, prominent Delaware Countian and widely known steel merchant with warehouses in Philadelphia, died at 3 a.m. today in Taylor Hospital, Ridley Park. He would have been 74 on July 14.
Mr. Hall entered the hospital on Tuesday, June 10, following a stroke suffered the day before in Ocean City, N.J. He drove his car, however, from the shore resort to his Ridley Park home, with Mrs. Hall. Pneumonia complicated his condition following admission to the hospital. For the past week his right side was paralyzed.
Until his illness, Mr. Hall had been president of the board of managers of Taylor Hospital. He was a leader in the hospital's recent campaign for funds to enlarge the institution.
A resident of Ridley Park since 1905, he had been a real estate assessor in the borough, later serving 12 years as tax collector and four years as burgess.
Active in Church
Ridley Park Methodist Church had Mr. Hall's devoted interest. He served for 25 years as superintendent of its Sunday school. Mr. Hall had been president of the church board of trustees and chairman of the finance committee.
Mr. Hall was born July 14, 1878 at Mt. Hope, near Village Green. His parents were the late Samuel H. and Sarah J. Hall. He attended public schools in Aston Mills and Village Green, Darby Friends' School, Drexel Institute and the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
Showing an early interest in telegraphy, Mr. Hall became telegraph operator at Glenolden station on the Pennsylvania Railroad. Later he operated signal towers for the railroad between Philadelphia and Washington. He then joined Western Union Telegraph Co., and in 1903 he was appointed to operate a special private wire from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh for the Carnegie Steel Corp.
From telegraph operator, Mr. Hall became a steel salesman for Carnegie, and during World War I, he was in charge of all export steel shipments to the shipyards of Japan.
Established in 1921
In 1921, Mr. Hall established his own steel warehousing firm, L. Norris Hall, Inc., with headquarters in Philadelphia. The firm supplies miscellaneous iron and steel products to industrial plants in the Philadelphia Metropolitan area.
Always deeply interested in the welfare of his neighbors, Mr. Hall was active in a number of community agencies. Years before Delaware County was organized for Red Feather campaigns, Mr. Hall and the late Carl Hennicke, of Ridley Park, with the assistance of Boy Scouts, collected funds and purchased food, fuel and clothing for needy families in the borough and Ridley Township.
Later he was a founder of the Community Welfare of Ridley Park. More than 50 Christmas baskets were assembled at Ridley Park borough hall each Christmas by this organization and delivered to needy families.
Chester Kiwanis Club was a special interest of Mr. Hall's and he was a past president and was an active supporter of it's boys and girl's work. One of his most recent benefactions was to donate steel for construction of stands in Chester's Little League Park, 9th and Ridley Creek.
Mr. Hall was vice -president and a director of Ridley Park National Bank. He was a 32nd degree mason and a past master of Prospect Lodge 578, and a director of Delaware County Chamber of Commerce.
In 1905, Mr. Hall married the former Louise Belle Dutton, of Twin Oaks, who survives.
Other survivors include a son, Wallace D., of Wynnewood, a vice-president of L. Norris Hall, Inc., two daughters, Mrs. Leroy Layton Jr., of Aronomink, and Mrs. A. Wesley Hoge, of Ridley Park. Another son, Gilbert N., is deceased."
L. Norris Hall - 1940
Rather interesting man, eh? Did the man ever sleep??!