Tuesday, March 29, 2011


I finished moving the dirt pile, so the property line and the new beds are finally done be regraded. I also added a few inches around the shed and sloped the ground up to ramp. Next step is planting grass seed and mulcing around the beds.... and maybe some warmer temps so the seeds will actually germinate!


Friday, March 25, 2011

New Garden Beds

It's that time again and the veggies are already started and under the growing lights. Meanwhile I opted not to fence in the back yard and instead added two more raised beds along the property line for vine crops. The beds are cedar, 8 ft long x 18 inches wide.

The yard slopes down along the property line so I only did one board on the back and two on the front. I dug holes for the posts, dropped into place, leveled and then filled in with a mix of topsoil I had delivered and some of my home brew compost. I also came up with a removeable trellis system. First was installing 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe for the trellis to insert into. These are mounted with conduit clamps.

For the trellis system I built a frame using 1 inch pvc sch 40 pipe. It's 5 feet high plus a foot for the mounting legs. Then I used coated drywall screws around the perimeter so I can install a grid using twine for the plants to climb on.

Next is regrading. The first crop for the new beds is snap peas. Meanwhile the old beds are cleaned up with a fresh layer of compost. Planted so far is spinach, two types of lettuce, and carrots.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Tidy Panel

There hasn't been time for much work on the Hall House lately, but I did manage to get the electric service panel finally cleaned up. I figured the appraiser would not like a bunch of wires hangin out the front of the service! So here it is.

Meanwhile I've been slowly working on tearing out and trashing the 2 layers of panelling in the front bedrooms. I'm also ready to start on door number four... hopefully the pace will start picking up again now that the outage is over.