The frame was a real PIA. I started with a paint scraper for the loose stuff (outside part) Then tried stripper, and ended up with the paint gun and a final sanding. The inside, which had seen shellac, then white paint, then poorly stripped and coated with varnish. I went with stripper and steel wool for two application. Then went to the heat gun again to get the remaining material out of the grills which you could no longer make out the details because of all the layers of stuff.
Frame all cleaned up
After sanding, the outside was primed and inside where the glass sits. The inside I went with an "aged oak" gel stain. The trim and jamb in the house is oak, but the frame is pine. I quickly was reminded that pine doesn't cooperate with stains and it came out blotchy. So after some sanding and a coat of treatment for soft woods that helps even how the wood absorbs the stain, and then two coats of stain, it's about as good as it's gonna get. Two coats of clear satin poly and it's ready for the glass.