Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Shingles - From Roofs To Walls

... and never had done either before, but you gotta learn somehow. The dining room wall is really taking shape now. I have learned one thing already - buy Pre-Primered cedar shingles! Boy how tedious that is and I only did 1/4 square. I did find rolling was a bit faster than brushing, but not much. Doing this now on all sides should help insure a long lasting paint bond since they will be sealed on all surfaces.


the neighbors were quite amused


After that was done, then they were ready to hang. The starters were already done so I started straight with the first coarse on up. The minimum distance between the edges of overlapping shingles needs to be at least an 1 1/2 inches. For the majority of this though I was staggered by half a shingle - which were all about 5 inches wide. For the reveal, I noted the old shingles before I tore them off. They were roughly between 6 and 6 1/4 inch - and for the new install I kept them at 6 1/8 inch except for the last two rows that had to be 6 1/2 to meet the top of the window exactly. This row gets tricky since they go from the wall to hanging over the window trim, shedding water over the windows - and this row needs to line up across the walls as well in order to look right. For securing the shingles I'm using 6d - 2 1/2" stainless steel ring-shanked nails. A little pricey, but I shouldn't ever have shingles coming down do to rusting nails.





This is where I got to before I ran out, so I will need to order one more box to finish this and for under the foyer window (only 2 rows there). I painted what was up with the color I decided on to get a better vision of how it will look over a broader area and with the stone work.





Next time..... adventures in hanging used garage doors, without instructions (not even chinese), pictures, diagrams, or a normal garage to install it in - and the ending yet to be written....

No comments: