Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A New Entry Oak Threshold

I crafted and installed a threshold for the new old front entry. This completed the look of the front door and came out quite nice. It is actually made from two pieces of red oak - one I made and the other I bought. The base is a solid piece of oak that I planed down and cut to size (approx. 1x6). Then it had to be rabbeted out because the cement base is actually a half inch higher than the hardwood floor inside. After a few adjustment it fit in perfect. Then I purchased a milled threshold to attach on top which is 1/4 inch thick. Once it was stained up and cleared it appears as one solid piece and should last a hundred years - unless someone rips this doorway out AGAIN!! Nothing left but weatherstripping now and refinish the door to complete the outside stage of this project.


No comments: