Sunday, January 13, 2008

Shiny Happy Floors

Well the guys at Shamrock Floor put on the 3 coats of poly (2 gloss - 1 top coat satin), and they had a week to dry. We are very pleased with how they came out and the downstairs looks like a different house. We can start putting furniture on, but have to wait a month for rugs. In the meantime I went ahead and finished the baseboard work while the furniture was out. I came up with a solution to replicate the original base trim that came close to original but cost me only $1.00/ foot using a stock piece from HD and milling some pieces from the oak flooring I took up. I'll show you how this was done in the next post. But here you can see some shots of the finished floors with the base assembled and stained. I like the contrast of the darker oak and the lighter pine. We can finally use some of the downstairs now and it's time to get the jukebox parts from the basement and put that beast back together for the foyer.



4 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow! Looks great!!

Nate said...

Your floors are KICK-BUTT BEAUTIFUL! I want my floors done too now. Good stuff. I'm interested to see how you managed with the baseboard. I guess I'll be checking back!

Ranty said...

Terrific work! We've done our own floors in all our past houses, but none looked as good as that at the end. Perhaps we should hire professionals for the Healy House...

mike & rachel said...

Being the ultimate DIY'er - I was very reluctant to hire out. But in the end it WAS money well spent... and they will get the upstairs job too.