Sunday, November 20, 2011

Goodbye Saggy Roof

After removing all the shingles and the lower sheathing the next step was building the front and back storage lofts. With these built it would make final removal of the old structure much easier. I'm using 2x8x20 footers to span the loft installed on 16 inch centers... giving me about 5 feet of storage in the front and back. I installed bracing between them to tie everything together, followed byt 1/2 OSB. Now I'll have enough space to store 55 Chevy parts!


A closer inspection at how bad the old structure was getting...



Next was bracing the roof to the new loft so I could remove the old support beams.



The last of the old sheathing is removed leaving just the framing... strange they went to the trouble to build the garage with granite walls, yet framed the roof with literally scrap lumber?!



And down comes the framing leaving just the gables which I will try to save. I was hoping to salvage some of the lumber but it's not looking good.



Next step.... installing new ridge beams.... stay tuned

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Wow, what an undertaking. Can't wait to see how it turns out!